Topic: beginner in SF

Hi,

I am used to run fortran on linux or windows XP. Now I have to run it on windows 7. Reading the forums, i was oriented to install  and use Simply Fortran. I opened the program with SF and tried to build project but an error appears: No source file is detected in the current project... Thus I can  not run the program! Can you tell me please "in details" how to make Simply Fortran running?

I am using the trial version to be sure that the SF solution works before bying it. So I was wonderying if this is the cause of my problem??

Thank you in advance

Re: beginner in SF

You'll need to add at least one Fortran (or C/C++) file to your project in order to build anything. You can do this either via the Project menu or right-clicking in the Project tree panel on the left of the Simply Fortran window.  Remember that a Fortran source file should end in an appropriate extension (.f90, .f, .f03, etc.).

When you first started Simply Fortran, you should have been presented with a "Select Project" dialog.  I would suggest you try selecting an example project rather than an empty project.  Your best bet to get started would be to select "Hello World," save the project file, and try building from there.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Thank you for your fast reply!

I have one more question plz. the program runs slowly, is there any way to optimize the calculation? thank you.

If you are referring to the program you are compiling, you can easily add optimization flags.  From the options menu, select "Compiler" to open the Compiler Options dialog.  Click the dropdown for Compiler Flags in the Fortran section and select "-O2" to enable most common optimizations.  Click Ok, then select "Clean" from the Build menu.  Finally, click "Build Now" in the Build menu, and the new optimization flags should take effect.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Dear Jeff,
I did the common optimization by selecting -O2 that you suggested, the program runs faster than before but still slower than compiling on windows XP ! Can give me  a hint plz?
Thank you.

When you say that it ran faster on XP, what compiler were you using?  Was the computer itself faster by any chance (I'm guessing that isn't the case...)?

Another thing you can change in the Compiler Options dialog is the "Target CPU."  I believe the default is "generic," which will generate code that should run on any x86 CPU.  Try changing the option to "native."  You might also consider checking the "Compile Strictly for Selection" to squeeze a bit more performance out of the executable.

Hopefully some of these suggestions help.  Let us know how things go!

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

I am sorry for my "silly" questions but since yesterday I am not able to execute a fortran program (.f90) a message appears : c:\Users\...\hello.exe is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

OR is not a valid WIN32 application

concerning the optimization I m doing a test and i will let you know
Thanks again

Don't worry about the questions, there is a learning curve associated with Simply Fortran.

Have you confirmed that the Fortran file is actually compiling?  You could just try a Clean and Build, both from the Build menu.  If that isn't working, open the Compiler Options dialog and undo some of the changes you made, specifically to the processor flags. 

You can also navigate to that directory to see if hello.exe is present.  Also, did you change the project type to 64-bit?  If you're not on Windows 7 64-bit, Windows will not be able to execute the resultant executable.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

I am using the trial version to be sure that the SF solution works before bying it. So I was wonderying if this is the cause of my problem??

Thank you in advance

No, the trial version of Simply Fortran is entirely functional for the first 30 days.  You wouldn't be able to click on the Build button or menu item at all had your trial expired. 

Did you look into the points I made in my previous post?  I'm wondering if it is compiling the executable and if the suggested compiler options are causing issues.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

i was oriented to install  and use Simply Fortran. I opened the program with SF and tried to build project but an error appears: No source file is detected in the current project... Thus I can  not run the program! Can you tell me please "in details" how to make Simply Fortran running?

Thank you in advance

Can you tell me please "in details" how to make Simply Fortran running?

Thank you in advance.

You need to be sure that, at some point in the process, you have done each one of the following:

Create a project
Set options for the project (especially the 'target options')

Create at least one source file
Save the source file(s)

Add at least one source file to the current project
Save the project

Build the project

Each of the above requires specific actions.
If you can't discover from menus etc how to do any of them, they're all in the on-line help.
Alternatively, I' sure that Jeff will help if you need it.

The trial version is the full version, with a time limit, so if it works at all, it works in full.

I hope you manage to get this working.  It is a fantastic IDE/compiler.  Best I've used.
---
John

"luckydog" turned out to be a clever spam account.  I've left John's answer, though, as it is appropriate for this thread.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC