Topic: 1.39 is sometimes refusing to build

Jeff,  I've been using SF1.39 for many hours today.
Occasionally, once in every few hours, it refuses altogether to work.

I can run the program and bring up the splash screen, then load a project, but when I try to build (with good code, which ought to work without error), nothing at all happens, save for a message showing the syntax check is working on one of many source files.  After minutes on end, no progress.  Nothing at all comes up in the main window.

I have to crash out and re-start SF.

I've noticed that, at this point, the makefile now has zero bytes length.
As a result, I can neither CLEAN nor REBUILD.

When I crash out and re-start again - same problem.

I've learnt that the only way I can solve this is to something along these lines:
- Run SF.
- Load my project.
- Do NOT try to do anything with it.
- Select Project options - regenerate Makefile=OFF.
- Save the project.
- Exit SF.
- Manually delete the Makefile (length-zero).
- Re-start SF
- CLEAN
- REBUILD
- Select Project options - regenerate Makefile=ON.
---
John

Re: 1.39 is sometimes refusing to build

John,

Version 1.39 had some significant work on handling makefile generation, especially with respect to memory leaks.  The routines to generate makefiles are now far safer, but, as I've suspected, something is causing a buffer overrun somewhere.  In past versions, Simply Fortran would often just continue past the error.  In most every case, the program would remain functional because, I suspect, the overrun is minor.   

I'll look into it immediately.  In the meantime, I would suggest disabling "Always Regenerate Makefile" if you're not actively adding files to your project.  This action might mess up some dependency checks, however, as you work.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

John,

I just sent you an email with what is hopefully a fix for this problem.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

I seemed somehow to have corrupted one of the file paths in my recent files list. 
This was causing crashes when I tried to load the offending project.
It's all OK now.
---
John