Topic: File menu - recent projects

I need to flip back and forth beteen projects.
I wish there was a recent projects list at the bottom of the file menu.
---
John

Re: File menu - recent projects

John,

This is a great idea!  I'll look into adding this to the File menu.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

The latest development version features Recent Projects:

http://i.imgur.com/LZLjY.png

It seems to be working great!  In a future version, I would also expect "Recent Files" to be added.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Excellent
---
John

Hello, I'm not a Fortran programmer, but I am part of a technical team looking to help one of our geophysicists move from Compaq Visual Fortran to some new application that has a GUI and compiles Fortran.  We're having the same Windows 7 migration dilemma that I think John had.

Is there a way to build the executable to have some other name than "Project.exe"?   I can see that it looks like it allows me to change the "Target Name:" under the "Project Options" tab.  Is that the only way?  And related to that, is there a way to display the project name where the word "Project" appears at the top of the hierarchy in the "Project Outline" pane?

And thanks for your work on this Jeff.  I've spent the last two days attempting to evaluate Fortran GUI/compilers and yours is the first I've been successful with, other than the Intel Visual Fortan/Visual Studio combination, which seems like overkill for what our guy needs to get done.

Chris

Chris, yes, change the project name as you describe.
Jeff, I agree with Chris, the current project name ought to appear somewhere on the IDE screen.

Chris, I've used Compaq Visual Fortran and Micro$oft Powerstation Fortran.  Jeff's 'Simply Fortran' is better than both of them.
It is just so efficient to use.
Also, Fortran-90 is a big improvement on F77, and I have been finding that Gnu F90, which 'Simply Fortran' uses, is very solid.

I am also delighted with the source level debugger that 'Simply Fortran' has adopted. 

It all does what it says on the tin.

The only shortcoming with 'Simply Fortran' and Gnu F90 is the lack of any support for a GUI.
This, though, is easily solved using DISLIN.

See Clive Page at
http://www.star.le.ac.uk/~cgp/dislinGUI.html

Jeff - can you please remind me, and tell Chris, which version of DISLIN should be downloaded for compatibility with 'Simply Fortran.'
CHris, you need to download the correct DISLIN package, ** and then ** you need Simply Fortran to be able to find two particular DISLIN files.  These are,
  - disgf.a [current ver. 1,776,958 bytes]
  - dislin.mod [current ver. 452,080 bytes]

You have to create these two files yourself using the Simply Fortran compiler on the DISLIN source.
I found that a bit daunting when still learning how to use both DISLIN and Simply Fortran, so Jeff prepared these two files for me.  Just ask him or me for a copy as and when you are ready for them.

You can tell 'Simply Fortran' where these files are in two ways.

One is by adding them both the the project, just as you add source files.

The other is by storing a copy of dislin.mod in a module directory named in
Project options --> Search Directories --> Include/Module directories,
and by storing a copy of disgf.a in a library directory named in
Project options --> Search Directories --> Library directories.

I don't know which of these methods is the right one so I have implemented BOTH in my projects, and that works!  Jeff, please advise!

I hope your geophysicist succeeds.  What is the program he is working on? 
Let me know if I can help any more.  I'm a civil engineer and my Fortran development has included numerical modelling software for structural engineering and geotechnical engineering.  My current project is a 2d frame analysis program, that I wrote originally  in F77.  It has 8000 lines of code in 40 source files, and 'Simply Fortran' compiles and links it to an I/O library and DISLIN without error.
---
John

Chris,

The executable name is changed via the Target Name field within the Project Options dialog, which you described.  The name of the project, however, is not updated in the Project tree.  Changing the project tree to display a more specific name makes sense, and the enhancement will be added. 

John,

To use DISLIN, you'll need to download the Windows 32-bit "GNU Fortran (Mingw)" archive.  You should not have to necessarily compile anything from source.  The archive contains a pre-compiled module file; however, the module file may require recompilation due to incompatibilities between various GNU Fortran versions. 

If anyone is interested in working with DISLIN, feel free to request a copy of the sample project.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

jeff wrote:

The [DISLIN] archive contains a pre-compiled module file; however, the module file may require recompilation due to incompatibilities between various GNU Fortran versions.

Jeff, there's a new version of DISLIN, just released.  I created a new 'Simply Fortran' project, added the two files, 'dislin.f90' and 'dislin.mod', selected project options, (i) Target option = static library and (ii) target name = 'disgf.a' then compiled and linked using 'Simply Fortran.'  It worked perfectly.  Was this the correct way of compiling a version of DISLIN with full compatibility with the Gnu Fortran used by 'Simply Fortran?'
---
John

John,

The dislin.f90 file included in the dislin distribution simply provides the interfaces necessary for using the library, which is already built as disgf.a.  The module file provided, dislin.mod and dislin_d.mod, are precompiled module files that are apparently not compatible with the version of GNU Fortran shipped with Simply Fortran. 

The simplest way to use dislin in a project would be to include disgf.a as a library, either directly via adding it to the project tree or, more correctly, renaming it to libdisgf.a, placing it in a known library search directory, and adding the flag -ldisgf.a to the linker flags in the Project Options dialog.  You'll also need a compatible dislin module to build your project.  The simplest way would be to include the file dislin.f90 within your project.  Simply Fortran will then correctly build a dislin module when a project build is requested.

Hopefully the above makes sense.  I realize it seems long-winded, and I'll be happy to provide an example project to anyone who might need one.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

jeff wrote:

John,

The dislin.f90 file included in the dislin distribution simply provides the interfaces necessary for using the library, which is already built as disgf.a.  The module file provided, dislin.mod and dislin_d.mod, are precompiled module files that are apparently not compatible with the version of GNU Fortran shipped with Simply Fortran. 

The simplest way to use dislin in a project would be to include disgf.a as a library, either directly via adding it to the project tree or, more correctly, renaming it to libdisgf.a, placing it in a known library search directory, and adding the flag -ldisgf.a to the linker flags in the Project Options dialog.  You'll also need a compatible dislin module to build your project.  The simplest way would be to include the file dislin.f90 within your project.  Simply Fortran will then correctly build a dislin module when a project build is requested.

Hopefully the above makes sense.  I realize it seems long-winded, and I'll be happy to provide an example project to anyone who might need one.

I would really benefit from a sample project, I just can't seem to get dislin to work for me.

Ryan,

I've emailed the sample project to you.  Hopefully you'll be able to get a good start.

On another note, I'll start looking into posting the sample project, along with possibly other examples, somewhere public for users.  I think such a site could be quite useful to everyone using Simply Fortran.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Thanks Jeff, I see now where I went wrong. Seems to be working very well.