Topic: Certain actions should auto-exit the debugger

I absolutely love the way that the debugger is now so integrated with teh IDE.
It is almost like having an interpreter built into the compiler.

I read with interest the forum entry, "SF2 Debugger useability" by "DavidB".
If you can do all that, Jeff, SF2 will be brilliant!

My suggestions are less organised than DavidB's, coming in dribs and drabs.
My latest concerns the fact that I keep getting blocked by forgetting to exit the debugger when editing and trying to re-compile.

I suggest the following:

Attempting to re-compile should definitely auto-exit the debugger.
Editing any part of a source file should probably also auto-exit the debugger, though I'm less sure.  What does everyone else think? 
----
John

Re: Certain actions should auto-exit the debugger

I'll agree that any build action should exit the debugger.  I'm less sure that I would want to turn off the debugger while editing.  Consider that you find a minor bug during a debugging session on your way to something else.  You'd probably want to edit it on the spot (unlike in Insight, where it really wasn't a possibility.  There's a pretty good argument that many people would want to continue debugging anyway rather than have to start fresh.  I've never known other IDEs to behave that way either, but, then again, Simply Fortran doesn't seek to be the same as other IDEs. 

I'm always open to counter arguments, of course.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Re: Certain actions should auto-exit the debugger

I agree completely.  Re-build should turn off the debugger.  Debugging should NOT turn off the Editor.
I've posted a comment to this effect in the longer forum topic.

FURTHER SUGGESTION:

Have the editor show all added or altered lines in the code in an unusual colour, or perhaps ghosted, for code that is edited whilst the debugger is running.  Switch this off as soon as the debugger is disconnected.
This will not be perfect because any code that's deleted can't be flagged like this, but it'll be useful nonetheless as a reminder.
---
J.