Topic: compiler downgrade

Jeff,
With SF 312 I was able to compile the classic package DASKR (http://www.netlib.org/ode/), which is written
(of course) in fortran77. However, with SF 313  the compiler reports (in several places) the following error
Error: Rank mismatch in argument 'jroot' at (1) (rank-1 and scalar).
Apparently something has changed (screwed?)  in gfortan 10. Is it possible to install two versions of SF
(previous and current) side by side, on the same machine? Or, is it possible to use an older version of compiler with the newest SF ?
Regards,
Carlos

Re: compiler downgrade

Carlos,

You can't "install" two versions of Simply Fortran 3 because they have the same identifier used in Microsoft's Install System.  I would instead suggest:

1. Download the Zip file for version 3.12

2. Unzip the file and run "Simply Fortran.exe" inside the folder, needed to fully deploy the compiler.

3. Quit version 3.12

4. Start version 3.13, which was "installed" from an .msi file

5. Open "Compiler and Support Programs" and make sure the compiler fields point to the compiler from the Zip file

I would like to see what's wrong first, though.  Can I just compile one of the examples in DASKR to see the problem?

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,
I simply copied ddaskr.f, dlinpk.f, daux.f and the example program dkrdem.f to a new project folder.
Then, of course, I have added all files to the project. With SF3.12 (on desktop) I have got many warnings,
but it works. With SF3.13 (on laptop) I am getting the above mentioned error (line 2183 in ddaskr.f).
Both machines run on win10. Fortran 77 is evil.
Regards,
Carlos

Carlos,

I received the same error, but I was able to compile everything in 3.13 by enabling "legacy" standard compliance.  In Project Options under Fortran, I checked the "Enable Standard" box and changed the drop-down to "legacy," and everything compiled fine (with warnings).

It's not ideal, but this version of the compiler seems to be a bit more strict about not allowing questionable or explicitly deleted language features.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC