Topic: Blank tab after save

It concerns v. 3.14 and win10. After saving current tab (Ctrl-S or toolbar), the tab becomes blank (listing disappears).
It happens very often, but not always, I can't figure out how to reproduce it for 100%. Sometimes it is associated with warning message "Failed to save file:"
Carlos

Re: Blank tab after save

Carlos,

There were some changes to file saving in the most recent build.  Can you provide a bit more information? 

Are you starting with a new file, or is this an existing file that you've modified? 

Is the file intact on disk after this occurs?

Does anything appear if you resize Simply Fortran (which would force a redraw)?

Thanks for the bug report.  I've already started looking into it.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,
It doesn't matter if a file is new or modified. It is saved correctly, so
nothing is lost, however, to see listing again I have to close the tab
and reopen it. Resizing SF window does not refill an emptied display.
Carlos

Carlos,

Can you tell me what build you have installed?  Just want to make sure I'm testing the correct one.

EDIT: One more question, if multiple tabs are open when this happens, and you switch between tabs, does it remain blank?

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,
Build 3344. Problem arises when SF starts with at least two tabs open, otherwise it seems that
everything is OK, even if more tabs are opened later on. When I switch between tabs, blank one remains blank.
Carlos

Jeff,
With build 3339 the problem has gone. Sorry, I did not notice the update.
Carlos

Oops, my fingers were to fast. After second start of SF IDE, the problem showed up again.
Carlos

Carlos,

Thank you for the additional information.  I still can't seem to replicate the issue.  Is there a chance you could email the project file (I probably don't need any Fortran code) to support@approximatrix.com?  I'm wondering if it's related to:

Carlos Herrera wrote:

Problem arises when SF starts with at least two tabs open

It could have something to do with the tabs if you're saving open tabs with your project.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,
The problem shows up also with just one file opened, without any project loaded or created,
so my previous conclusion about two tabs was apparently wrong, sorry about that.
I hope that at least the following observation is correct: tab almost always becomes blank
after saving file with  extension .f, .f90, .f95 or .f03. However, if the same file is saved
with extension .c, .bas or .py and loaded again, problem disappears.
Carlos

Carlos,

I appreciate this description.  There were changes to how saving works to automatically change the current editor's mode when a file is saved in case the extension indicates a different mode should be used.  In order to force the change in editor mode to be realized, some calls were added to attempt to force an editor redraw.  My guess is that the culprit lies in that code somewhere.  Hunting down the actual issue, however, is difficult since I can't yet replicate the issue.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Carlos,

We have a new build that might fix the issue, though we still can replicate it.  Can you try the following?

https://download.simplyfortran.com/3.14 … 4.3351.msi

I basically moved the redraw operations that were occurring during the save procedure out of that routine and back into the main user interface loop.  There may still be issues, but I'm hoping it does make matters better.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,
Unfortunately, with the recent build my problem still persists. Sometimes tab is not
completely blank after Ctrl-S, but cropped listing (with end part) is still visible.
However, it was already occurring before, with earlier builds. 
I am curious why nobody else did not reported such behavior. I suspect that it has something to do with
the particular hardware configuration of my laptop. At the moment I do not have
access to other machine, but next week I will install recent version of SF on
desktop computer in my office.
Carlos

Carlos,

I haven't heard from any other users with a similar issue, no.  Not being able to replicate the issue is making debugging your problem pretty tricky.  Is there anything else about your situation that you could share?  Info like:

1. How many tabs are open when the problem occurs?

2. You mention that sometimes it appears "cropped."  Does that correspond to where the file dialog had been?

3. Do you have "Remove Excess Whitespace on Save" enabled?

4. Are you saving to a local disk or a network drive?

5. Are you saving as free-format or fixed-format Fortran?

6. How often are you seeing "Failed to Save File" errors that you've mentioned?

I'm sorry you are having this problem.  It can't be fun trying to deal with it.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,
I appreciate very much your persistent supporting efforts. I will
send answers directly to support@approximatrix.com. I will
attach also some screenshots to illustrate the problem better.
Carlos

Carlos,

I noticed one important setting you mentioned was that you do have "Remove Excess Whitespace on Save."  If you disable that feature, does the problem go away?

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC

Jeff,
As I already posted to support mailbox, problem goes away when "Remove Excess Whitespace on Save"
option is disabled. I checked it several times, and tab content was always undisturbed. Thank you.
Carlos

Carlos,

We're going to get that feature fixed for the next release (3.15).  I don't know why it was behaving that way on your machine, but it was done in our code in a somewhat unreliable manner.

Jeff Armstrong
Approximatrix, LLC